Thursday, December 3, 2009

Making Trails

Left Buenos Aires on Tuesday the 1st. Short 5 hour bus journey south to Mar del Plata. Going to be here for 10 more days then to Santiago, Chile via Buenos Aires and Mendoza. Goodbyes are always difficult. Whether its people, places, or events doesn’t matter. They all linger, some shorter, some longer. I know I’ll have both in relation to my stay in BA.

My last week in the city I felt somewhat strained from myself. Could have been the fact that I knew I was leaving. Also began feeling under the weather as the weekend rolled through. Hard to tell if its all psychological or purely physical, most likely a little of both. Regardless, mustered up the courage and energy to watch the Vikings on Sunday afternoon before going to see Manu Chao. A great concert, even if I didn’t understand why the same chant persisted throughout the 3-4 hour performance. Monday, attended my final La Bomba de Tiempo show, making it 5 or 6 over the course of 3 months. It was exactly what I wanted it to be. I’m going to miss it, the Monday night getaway.

It’s strange living on the verge of adventure. I don’t feel like a fit in the mold any longer. I found myself in the new house alone after cooking hot dogs. Not sure where they went while I was cooking, but here I am writing. The rest of the guys are here for the month, trying to put together their own plans and priorities. I’m here killing time, resting up, and planning the remaining 5 weeks of travel. I don’t mean to be a burden, but I get a constant feeling that I am. The guy who has everything and nothing figured out all at once. Living day to day, without much (visible) worry for the future. It’s lonely, but that’s an entirely different subject I’ve reserved for an entirely different entry.

My time in the city was unique. New thoughts, experiences, and friends. Some will be retained, many lost. Not to say lost forever. My mind is a million miles wide, it’s a tough paddling job, but everything is there. The ones I cherish most reside but a few strokes from my island, the rest of the waters are unchartered, and some dangerous to navigate, but it’s all there.

No Internet in the new place. Less distraction, but in turn less communication. No couches or lounge chairs either. It’s a tiny little house a few blocks from the beach. The weather has been chilly and rainy since I arrived 2 days ago. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some beach time in before its time to leave.

0 comments: