Wednesday, December 16, 2009

No Rush

Valparaiso is as wonderful a place as I have ever been in my life. If you couldn't tell from the mannequin, this city has no shortage of character. Took a walking tour yesterday of the upper barrios which lead us to some viewpoints overlooking the harbor and clear across the expansive bay to the beaches of ViƱa del Mar. Last night, enjoyed a beer in a 100 year old bar and walked around the lower part of the city a little more.


Today, my Swiss buddy Jonas and I hopped aboard an ambiguously destined bus towards the aforementioned beach town. Met a very friendly and charming old man with about as many teeth as I have fingers (8-10 depending on your classification and/or inclusion of opposable thumbs). After a solid ten minutes of one-way communication, I finally spoke, asking if the bus was going to get close to the beach at any point (¿El bus va a mas cerca de la playa?). In typical fashion, I happened to voice my pregunta at the precise moment, and he told me to get off at the next block and hang a left. Side note: I have become a smiling and nodding professional. I have some innate ability to act as though I completely understand anything anyone is telling me, no matter what foreign tongue. I probably come off as moronic, fine with me. In Santiago, a Brazilian staying at the same hostel latched himself to me, because he thought I was the only one who understood him. All I did was stay mute, nod, smile, and occasionally laugh. For three days he would approach me at random, ramble in his cryptic, mushy Portu-Spanish, laugh, and I would laugh back. It was an intriguing and brief relationship that kept me and everyone else who witnessed very amused.

Anyway, spent a few hours on the beach. Kept myself free of sun pain, besides a killer burn on the top of my head (always forget short blond hair leaves my scalp very susceptible to ultraviolet violence). Trip back to Valpo was much quicker and easier. Enjoyed an "ice" (ice cream) with Jonas. He's learned English in 5 months of traveling, his English being far superior to my Spanish, but some of his words and phrasing for things are absolutely hilarious. We keep each other entertained.

0 comments: