Saturday, December 5, 2009

Use(less)ful Information

Having a hard time concentrating on anything today. Been sleeping more than usual since arriving at the beach town I currently find myself in. Could be the cold weather, the heavy blanket, or the fact that I haven't slept in such perfect conditions since departing North America. Whatever it may be, as enjoyable as oversleeping is, its not helping with my focus issues.


Some complications to the travel plans. Was banking on a cheap flight from Santiago to the border of Chile and Peru. Not going to happen. This means one of two things: I either lose time traveling in Peru or leave Argentina a handful of days earlier. I think I'm leaning towards leaving a bit earlier, getting to Santiago by this upcoming week's end, and having as close to 3 weeks in Peru as possible after some apparent barely bearable bus trips up the Chilean coast.

I'm eager to spend some time on my own. If it hasn't been made apparent in my writings (and although I may not be), I often feel the odd man out. Its a state of mind, a state of existence, and an intuition I've possessed since infancy, regardless of the situation. I love friends and I love spending time with people, but if I learned anything from my college living experiences, its that I don't do the mid-to-long-term peer group living situations very well. I enjoy it thoroughly and somewhat excessively for a short period of time, and then it ceases to agree with me once the novelty of the arrangement has worn out. I've also grown accustomed to feeling as though I'm in it wherever I am for the long haul. Far too comfortable with letting time and opportunities slip through the cracks. I'm good at doing what I want to do and not what others would have me do, yet I find myself putting off the things I want to do when in the back of my mind I know there is limited time for these things to be done. Again, something I'm far too familiar with, and for the most part content with. If they were opportunities I felt a strong desire to take advantage of then I would. I rarely subject myself to half-hearted attempts at anything now that my prerequisites for the rest of my life have been fulfilled (formal education). Maybe its nothing to concern myself with after all.

Because there is no internet, or comfortable furniture in the residence, I've taken up to watching movies on my computer on my mattress on the floor. Watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Hang 'Em High over the past couple of days. I'd never seen Hang 'Em High before, enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as that other one. That other one is probably one of my favorite films of all time (I must have at least 25-50 of those).

Song that popped into my head when the reality of leaving Buenos Aires sunk in. Sad to Know (You're Leaving) by Gregory Isaacs. Solid farewell tune, fairly sentimental, yet concise and straightforward. Two entities parting ways with no hard feelings and a hefty amount of optimism. Isaacs is one of my favorite reggae vocalists. None of the vocal theatrics so common to the reggae vein in his delivery. I enjoy theatrics, but his voice and presentation is perfect for his songs and lyrics. Aside from the song above, If I Don't Have You is a beautiful beautiful beautiful love song. Confirm Reservation and Cool Down the Pace are another couple of my favorites from Mr. Isaacs.

Another song thats been in and out of my head the past couple of weeks. Psychotic Girl by The Black Keys. They've been around for the past decade. Basic, bluesy, 2-piece indie rock outfit. I got the chance to see them at Austin City Limits music festival in 2008. I remember enjoying the performance, although wishing the whole time I could've been behind the kit. Drummer just wasn't doing it for me, and sadly enough, that just so happens to be what I base my appreciation of live bands on.

On a side note, today, December 5th, 2009 is the 76th anniversary of the ratification of the 21st Amendment to our U.S. Constitution, which repealed the 18th Amendment calling for nationwide Prohibition that took place from 1919-1933. Have a toast and beverage to freedom on this fine day. Thank you to my high school U.S. history project and wikipedia, although I did pull the date from the abyss of use(less)ful information that is my mind.


0 comments: