Monday, December 14, 2009

Mustached Mannequin


Feeling better after a few days of rest and relaxation. Wandered the desolate streets of Santiago over the weekend. Attempted venturing to a bar on Saturday night only to find that all restaurants and bars were closing early for the election. Everything finally opened back up Monday morning, just in time for my departure. I thought being in a capital city on election day would be interesting. Not quite. Managed to stream the Viking game over the WiFi in the hostel, so at least I found a way to entertain myself on Sunday. Met a swiss traveler named Jonas in Santiago, who was also to heading to Valparaiso today. We bussed it together, checked into a hostel, and walked around a bit. Very interesting place sporadically covered in unique tags and graffiti. Rich history. Unfortunately, the beach is not walking distance away. Probably head to a new hostel near the beach in the next town over on Wednesday until the weekend.


On the stroll through the city today, I came across and odd mannequin in the window of one of the shops. Unlike any mannequin I have ever set my eyes on. He was mustached. Made my day, if not week, if not trip. A subtlety in the world of clothing display I never had the presence of mind to imagine. I'm surprised my cognitive senses even allowed me to comprehend what I was seeing. A mustached mannequin. What a treat.

Still not sure what my upcoming traveling plans are. Seems to be a theme of my South American experience. No plan has been the plan from the get go and I'm sticking with it until the bitter end whether I or anyone else likes it or not

0 comments: