Saturday, October 10, 2009

(Un)Inspired

I've felt a bit under the weather over the past week since my return from Patagonia. Not sure if it's because of this that I have felt a total lack of inspiration in all things, but nevertheless, this void has been driving me a bit nuts. Watched the Vikings on Monday Night Football and it was great. Probably the peak of my week. Went to Chinatown again on Tuesday for some food and to walk about for a while. On Wednesday, the crew and I visited a weapons museum. Nothing too special, lots of miniature figurines, regular sized swords, knives, spears, guns, and even bigger guns. Interesting to point out that the visit to the museum did invoke some inspiration to play video games (probably only because I'm running out of ideas). It's not that I've gotten to the point of stagnation being here for over a month now, but I really believe that my trip to Patagonia triggered in my mind the need to be on the road.


All the time I prepared for the excursion to this hemisphere, I was driven by a desire to attain some sense of consistency in my lifestyle through a development of routine and/or occupation. I assumed this would be a simple enough undertaking, given the fact that the last year of my life was fairly hectic and disjointed apart from the job thing. However, I have become aware of the probability that this is just the way that I am. I need to wander, I need to see all that I can, I need to be free of commitments (for a while). As eager as I am to establish a life somewhere (it can wait), through all of my ruminations, it is clear to me that nothing is concrete. There is no formula, no success, no failure, only the pursuit of whatever it is we as a species pursue. Some believe its happiness, some believe its comfort. I have no intuition of what it is (I would hope it encompasses both of the aforementioned items, although I have no way of defining what either happiness or comfort really is), I just know that I'm after it. At this moment, I plan to continue walking the streets of this city for some time to come, and if after a period, I'm no longer feeling it, I will take the time to explore all of the things on this continent I have always wanted to (surely experiencing things unexpected in the process).

How does that sound? Sounds like somewhat of a plan to me.

0 comments: