Friday, October 16, 2009

Pan-American Pondering

The brainstorming continues. Tentative plans turn into altered tentative plans. I had somewhat of an epiphany last night in regard to the allocation and organization of my time down here. The gut feeling that came along with this realization is something I haven't felt in a long time. My prior idea to travel in November felt somewhat rushed when I began to undertake the planning of a 1-2 month trip in 2 weeks time. Made me somewhat uneasy about the whole thing.


The new idea entails staying in Buenos Aires through November, most likely staying with the group through mid to late December. Then comes the exciting part. I'll start off in Argentina, seeing areas in the north before heading into Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, and on up into Central America. Not quite sure where I'll end my travels, could be Costa Rica, could be Mexico. One way flights are dirt cheap ($100-200) from Central America to CA. As it stands, I have a flight scheduled from Buenos Aires to LAX on May 19, 2010. After looking into it, the cost to change my flight from May back to March would be about the same as what I paid for the round trip ticket in the first place. Figured I'll cut my losses, hold onto that cash, and use it in order to see all that I can. This go around, I'll have 2 months to plan a 2-3 month trip. Another positive is the fact that I will be able to spend more time in this city. Not so sure this would've happened under my prior plan. All in all, I get the sense that this is the right way to go. I'm not presented with this feeling very often, so I'm just going to run with it.

Happenings of the week:

Monday, October 12- Columbus Day is alive and well in Buenos Aires. Sean and I contemplated visiting the zoo, but after strolling past the packed ticket office, opted for a visit to Parque Tres de Febrero instead (best people watching in the city and its only a 15-20 minute walk away). Vast assortment of amateur bicyclists, rollerbladers (most amusing by far), hockey players, walkers, joggers, and loungers just like us. Stopped by a street vendor and enjoyed a nice chorizo (pork sausage) sandwich. Parked on a nice patch of grass, got some reading, drawing, and music listening in. Good day.

Tuesday the 13th- We knew the Oktoberfesters were coming back at some point. Chone and I decided to hit up a handful of bookstores in our neighborhood. Ended up being a solid walk, saw some parts of the neighborhood we hadn't seen yet. The boys never showed, so we went to sleep.

Wednesday the 14th- The missing caballeros strolled in about 5, 6, or 7 am. I really don't remember due to the fact that I was sleeping with my ear plugs. Woke up feeling a harsh hit from this lingering cold. Spent most of the day lying low, making it out for a meal.

Thursday the 15th- Took a trip down to San Telmo with Matt to visit a bookstore we had both read about. Cool little place called Walrus Books (incorporation of intriguing animals always sparks my interest). Mostly contained used books, all in English. Large selection of literary works from well known authors. No clue what I was looking for, probably passed up on a handful of great books, ended up with a book entitled God's Grace by Bernard Malamud. I read his book The Fixer in my Philosophy of Literature course back a couple of years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed his style. We'll see if this one turns out to be any good. Still need to get through another 300 or so pages of Moby Dick first. Went to dinner with Alex and Stephen (buddy from LMU living here for 6 weeks). Met up with one of Alex's friends from Nebraska who happened to be in Buenos Aires, and also happens to own a bar in Costa Rica. I got talking to him, and thats about when the pieces in my head clicked together.

Today, Friday the 16th- Was so excited last night about my pseudo-epiphany that I had trouble getting to sleep (sure the beers didn't help). Strolled down the street to Jardín Botánico (coined "the cat park" due to the lazy feline infestation) this afternoon to draw and write for a while amidst the trees. Then went to a little cafe around the corner from the apartment for a hot chocolate and sandwich while I did some reading. Worked out and composed what you've been wasting your time with for the past couple of minutes. Heading to the all-you-can-eat parrilla in a bit. This place is the best deal in town (17 pesos or 4.50 US). Not the best quality meat, but the price includes ice cream! I scream, you scream, we all scream for all-you-can-eat ice cream! This will be our 5th or 6th time there in the 6 weeks we have now been here. Enough said.

Have a grand weekend.


0 comments: