Saturday, October 10, 2009

Quiet Weekend

This weekend, I had planned on attending Oktoberfest with the boys somewhere entailing a 14 hour bus journey away, but due to my health concerns, and overall lack of luster, I opted out. This left me here in the city with Chone (Sean). On Friday, we done gone to another Museo. This one being the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes. For those of you who don't habla (I try), it is the fine arts museum, which houses countless works from periods ranging from the late renaissance until present day. The biggest museo I've visited here yet, we spent at least a couple of hours wandering the halls stopping to view many works, but walking past many more.


Came across a few artists I had never heard of or seen before, whose presented works I found to be intriguing. The first was Santiago Rusiñol, whose Jardin de Aranjuez I stood in front of for a handful of minutes. When I look at the image now online, I'm uncertain what drew me in, but I remember it being somewhat dark and daunting. It is most often the contrast between what is being depicted (for this painting a garden) and how it is being depicted (slightly ominous, yet inviting) that sucks me into appreciating any artistic expression I am presented with. Joaquin Sorolla was another artist that caught my eye. The museum had three different paintings of his, all of which were scenes of ships, some landing on shore, others with people and livestock. I'm uncertain that I've ever seen such a brilliant white as in the sails of his ships. That is what really sold them to me, just the sails. The last artist I'm going to mention is Salvador Sanchez Barbudo. His painting Recepción de un Cardenal (not a very good image) was probably my favorite of the day. On first view, it seemed blurry and uninteresting... then I noticed the detail. Some of the objects are so intricately painted that they aren't immediately noticeable amongst the vague shadows, faces, and bleak background. The work possesses a near perfect contrast of elements, and immediately made me think of life as a beautiful vortex of cares and discards. Anytime this thought is associated with anything, I know it will be remembered.

Saturday, we did jack. Went to a bar in the night and discussed all types of topics

Today, we went to to the bars that play USA sports. Watched the Vikings and Angles win (sweep in Fenway, 9th inning magic). It was great.

Other then that, nothing too exciting, which is exactly what I planned and wished for.

Hope all is well.

0 comments: