Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Grab Bag!

Many things have been coming and going in my mind the past few days, but it seems as though a solidification of these ideas is well on its way. Further development of a plan for my time down here is following suit as well. Starting a loop of travel in the first week of November. Going to make my way through the north of Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, and Chile (this list is tentative, just like most things in this life at the moment) for the better half of 2 months.

Following are a few recommendations for your consideration:

Dinner/Lunch/Snack you should prepare for yourself right now: Grilled cheese with hot dogs in the middle (should've taken a picture). Another fine addition to my culinary arsenal, which also includes, but is not limited to, PB&J with chocolate chip cookie crumbles in the middle (its a theme), bowl of honey nut cheerios with milk including a scoop of peanut butter, chocolate sauce, and honey, anything microwavable with ketchup, and most memorably, day-old, refrigerated fast-food cheeseburgers rejuvenated by a little love from my best friend, the broiler. The grilled-cheese-hot-dog-combo was born out of the realization that all I had to eat were hot dogs, cheese, butter, and, you guessed it, bread (at least the only combinable items, as I also prepared a sliced apple and some broccoli). Either way, it is an absolutely delectable dish and slightly more mainstream than the majority of my various other original recipes.

Another artist/album I've been listening to for the past few days: Heart of the Congos by The Congos. My favorite song off the record is The Wrong Thing. Experts (whatever their qualifications) peg this album up with the best of the best of classic reggae albums. I would say I have to agree. It was released in 1977, and was largely out of print only until the past decade. Good listening, even greater accomplice in recent contemplation. Give it a go.

A film EVERYONE needs to see, except children under 13: I saw Let the Right One In for the first time at some point in the spring of 2008. It blew me away then and every other viewing afterwards. Here is a trailer (subtitles area must). It's a Swedish film, pretty dark, but with one of the most beautiful (albeit mildly disturbing) stories I have ever encountered. No need to go into too detail for this one, just watch it for yourself.

0 comments: