Friday, September 25, 2009

Musica!

If the minutes/hours/days/weeks were compiled, I have no doubt in my mind the conclusions would show I have spent more time listening to music than I have devoted to any other single voluntary activity in my lifetime. If one looked even further, they would notice the music that has found its way to me ranges from all ends of the rhythm realm. Following, are some of the sounds I've been pumping into my head for the past short while:


I have loved reggae music for some time now. Everyone has their own opinions of reggae, but I've found that most people's exposure and experience with the music is very limited (Mr. Marley and various reggae/rock/pop outfits). I've spent days, maybe weeks, searching for and discovering reggae that never would've presented itself otherwise, educating myself about the culture and expanding my library in the process. Within the last 4 months, this exploration lead me to a whole new vein of related music. Afrobeat is a music born in Central Africa (Nigeria) during the 1970's, which blends traditional african sounds with sounds of jazz and funk. Aside from the incredibly difficult names, it's a music that speaks to me as strongly as any other I've ever fallen in love with. I urge everyone to give it a listen. Here are a few albums/examples of the reggae I love as well as the Afrobeat.

- Horace Andy is a Jamaican reggae artist with a classic sound and an amazing voice. "Something on My Mind" and "Riding for a Fall" are 2 of my favorites.

- Darker Than Blue is a compilation album of soul music made in Jamaica during the 1970's. The whole album is incredible, 2 goodies are "Ghetto Funk" and "Gypsy Woman".

- Nigeria 70 vol. 1 and Nigeria Special: Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds and Nigerian Blues are my 2 favorite Afrobeat/Afrofunk compilations. If the covers alone don't sell you, listen to a couple of songs.

- The Indestructible Beat of the Soweto is a great compilation of South African township music (originally released in the mid 80's). Different from Afrobeat, but just as special. "Awungilobolele" by Udokotela Shange Namajaha (told you) is great. There is another song by the same artist "Sobabamba" that I enjoy more so listen to the sample on the album link page.

Now, taking a huge detour from the groove and funk of international sounds, comes an artist I've been listening to for a few years now, and a fair bit in the past couple of weeks.

Being a lover of word and thought, I've always been a sucker for the music of singer/songwriters whose lyrics oftentimes carry more weight than their melodies. Of all these artists, Townes Van Zandt has easily become a top contender in my book. Be Here to Love Me is a great documentary about his extraordinarily troubled life and times. He is a constant reminder that you can't take the peaks without the pitfalls. Life is an unavoidable blend of beauty and ugliness, happiness and despair. Impossible to understand, or even recognize, one without the other. Townes may be the most talented songwriter I have ever come across, as far as his ability to express this undeniable truth is concerned. "Tecumseh Valley", "Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel" , "I'll be Here in the Morning", "Snake Mountain Blues", "Rake", and "Waitin' Around to Die" are a handful of my favorites.

Definitely watch the "Waitin' Around to Die" video, he is playing in his trailer home in Austin, TX. The old guy is his neighbor who's been a blacksmith his whole life. Immediately prior to this scene, the neighbor was making references to Townes about reforming his life, aware of all his talent and charisma. Its pretty touching and gives insight on the mindset of people who can't do much more than give up slowly (submitting to the pitfalls). Here is the longer version of the video which presents the whole picture.

Travel is a fluctuation of the soul, and through walking about the city, its not hard to see that this place has been dealt its own set of cards. The blending of my life and this new environment has made my ear gravitate towards this music because it fits, its beautiful, and it fills up all that space in my head.

Enjoy

0 comments: