Thursday, September 24, 2009

Brief rundown of the trip so far

It has occurred to me I have yet to describe the experience so far. Since the 5th and final member of our group arrived today, it feels necessary now to do so. Here goes a highlight reel of what the past 21 days have held:


9/3-4 Days 1/2: Boarded my flight @ 10:30am, with a stopover in Atlanta. Managed to have 2 long, somewhat comfortable flights. Landed a good hour before Chew, Sean, and Smeal (3 of the 4 compadres). Upon their arrival we filled up a couple of taxis then made our way to the apartment.

Spent the next week exploring the neighborhood, meeting new friends, eating new places, cooking with the boys, laying low, doing my best to conserve funds (it's a marathon), and taking the occasional evening excursion. A bit hazy all in all, but whales o fun.

9/14 Day 12: This day is well documented due to the fact that I finally procured a functioning mobile device as well as a guitar.

9/16 Day 14: Enjoyed conversations with 2 new people (1 in English and 1 in my patented horribly broken Spanish/English) and took a nice long walk by myself initiated by a Subte (subway) breakdown. Bad weather came in the next day.

9/18-20 Days 16-18: Awoke very early Friday (8am) to more nasty weather, and in hope of retrieving my laptop from the hands of airport customs. Successful, I returned to the abode, took a nice nap, hit the town a little too hard, and spent the rest of the weekend in pain (forcing myself out of bed to watch football on Saturday).

9/21 Day 19: Unsuccessfully attempted to attend La Bomba de Tiempo, apparently a Monday night staple in the city consisting of a handful of ridiculous percussionists playing for 3 hours in the early evening (7-10pm). Needless to say, right up my alley. We still stood outside and listened while I salivated. Doing my best to restrain myself from grabbing any nearby object which I could use as a drum (my heart is broken, should've packed the djembe).

9/22 Day 20: More rain...

9/23 Yesterday: Visited Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires (MALBA). Pretty coo museum with Latin American art ranging over the past 100 years. It consisted of 2 main floors, first floor was the main exhibit, top floor was an exhibition of works by Yente Prati (no idea) most of his works consisted of various geometric shapes and/or blank canvases containing 3 or 4 brush strokes. Somewhat disappointing for me, but thats the beauty of art.

9/24 Today: Woke up to one Matthew Ardoin (#5) entering my pitch black cave. He possessed the same energy we did 3 weeks ago when we arrived, although I still woke up in a fairly foul mood. Working out did the trick and the 6 of us (our world-traveling pal Kyle included) ventured toward the elusive Chinatown (2 or 3 square blocks, exactly what you'd expect) in order to make Chew's wildest dreams come alive. We had an excellent meal for an even better price, and then made our way back to where I'm sitting now.

Wanted to include some of the music I've been listening to while here, maybe tomorrow...



1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, this is from your mom's friend Jill. (it is making me post through my daughter Janey's e-mail for some reason)
I LOVE your revelations, and it makes me travelsick - wish I was traveling.
Great to see how you see this as an opportunity to take the biggest journey of all - the one within yourself. Love your honesty.
Your one and only picture makes me laugh at your ironic sense of humor. But for cripes sake buy a little pocket camera and just keep shooting wherever and whatever. In retrospect, you'll love em all.
Keep blogging and have a blast.
Jill